We provide Life Group notes every week (except the last week of the month) for leaders/hosts to download and review before leading their groups. You can either print off this page or download the notes in PDF version. You can also submit a Life Group report.
This Week: Our Father’s Protection
Download this week’s notes: Our Father’s Protection
Read Psalm 24
Icebreaker: Who picked on you the most when you were growing up? Did anyone stick up for you when that happened?
Read 1 Samuel 1:1-20.
The name Lord of Hosts (Jehovah Sabaoth) is first mentioned in verse 3, then in verse 11, when Hannah desperately cries for help.
1. How does the list of Elkanah’s ancestry underscore Hannah’s plight (v.1)?
2. What response does her not having children evoke in her husband Elkanah (v.5)?
3. What response does her not having children evoke in in Peninnah (v.6)?
4. How do you tend to respond to rivals that bully or provoke you?
5. How do you tend to respond to God when he seems to say no to what you want?
6. Why does Hannah’s sadness disappear so quickly (v.18)?
7. Hannah was no longer downcast after talking to Eli. What lifts your spirit when you are downcast?
8. Are you in the midst of threats, disappointment, or trials now? What lesson can we learn from Hannah’s example?
9. Read 1 Samuel 14:45; Isaiah 45:2,3; Romans 8:31. What encouragement can you find in these passages?
10. Hannah dedicated Samuel to the Lord. What aspect of your life do you need to dedicate to God?
a. Children e. Possessions
b. Childlessness f. Job
c. Spouse g. Future
d. Home h. Other:
Memorize the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13).