Alpha is an opportunity to explore the meaning of life in a relaxed, friendly setting. At each session, people enjoy great food, laughter and learning in a fun and friendly atmosphere where no question about life or God is seen as too simple or too hostile… questions like: Is there a God? Why am I here? Where did I come from? Where am I going? What came first, the chicken or the egg?
Alpha has become a worldwide phenomenon, now in 164 countries. Over 16 million people have come to explore the meaning of life. The small groups are an important part of ALPHA, so that each person has an opportunity to discuss thoughts that arose during the video. This gives an opportunity for everyone to get to know each other and to learn together.
1. Coastal Church. Every Monday night at 6:15 PM at 1160 West Georgia, downtown Vancouver.
2. Pitt Meadows. South Bonson Community Centre, Pitt Meadows at 7:00 PM. (view map)
3. West Vancouver. St. David’s Church, 1525 Taylor Way at 6:30 PM.
4. Campus Alpha – For UBC students, Campus Alpha is running every Tuesday evening at 6:00 PM in Sub 205 & every Wednesday at 12:00 noon in Sub 214.
5. Youth Alpha – this month our youth will be running the Alpha program every Saturday night at 7:30 PM at Coastal Church. This program will last 8 weeks.
Watch The Following Video: Introduction to Alpha
Each session typically includes:
6:30pm – Guests arrive and dinner is served. All guests are immediately treated to a gourmet dinner prepared by the Coastal Alpha team. This is a great opportunity to visit friends and meet new people.
7:30pm – Live music and video presentations take place. This usually consists of a couple worship songs followed by a welcome and a few classic jokes by the Alpha team leader. All guests are then invited to watch Nicky Gumbel discuss the Alpha course topics.
8:40pm – Participants break into small group for open-ended discussion. Once the video is complete, each guest breaks off into a small group to discuss the week’s topic in more detail. These group settings are a non-threatening environment, where people have the opportunity to express their opinion without feeling judged or cut down by other group members.
9:15pm – The evening winds up.